We wanted to show you how easy it is to connect the RDL VIBE remote vibration monitoring system to the CDL SmartHub, and have your data monitored and visible, on-line and in record time.
What is the RDL Vibe remote vibration monitoring system?
The RDL Vibe offers
- up to 2 triaxial low frequency Geophones
- wireless mobile connectivity,
- long battery life (usually 1 – 2 months, but longer depending on events),
- or mains power via a PSU
- event threshold setting on-line
- event trigger alarming (email and SMS), and
- constant access to data online via the CDLSmartHub
- truly robust construction
- great cost effectiveness
- Parameters measured: Peak Particle Velocity (PPV), acceleration, and displacement
- Geophones: 1 or 2 tri-axial geophone sensors per base unit
- Trigger levels: minimum 0.18mm/s and maximum 43.4mm/s
- Frequency range:5Hz to 500Hz
- Low frequency response: 0.3Hz (with alternative geophone)
- Operating temperature:-5°C to +60°C
- Dimensions: 178 x 156 x 75 mm
- Casing:IP66 die cast aluminium
- Battery power:2 x Lithium D Cell (Mains Powered units are also available at point of order)
Caption Data launched the RDL Vibe in 2012 and it was designed from the start to be robust for use in harsh environments such as construction sites, yet simple to use and sensitive enough to capture low frequency vibrations.
Since 2012, RDL Vibe remote vibration monitoring systems have been used on thousands of construction sites to monitor vibration levels arising from activities such as: piling, demolition, blasting, excavation, as well as monitoring ground vibrations generated from road and rail traffic. In addition, the RDL//Vibe vibration monitoring systems have been used to monitor vibration levels in some of the UK’s most prestigious buildings – landmarks such as the Natural History Museum and the Eddystone lighthouse.
Each RDL Vibe Vibration Monitoring System is ready to use straight from the box.!!
Simply apply power and switch On, configure your threshold settings via the CDL SmartHub, and start monitoring. Heres how:
Setup Step 1 – Open the case, remove the base station and yellow Geophone equipment from the case, and fix the Geophone to the structure you wish to monitor
or insert the geophone spikes into the ground depending on your application
The RLD Vibe remote monitoring system is supplied with an optional carry case (pictured), so depending on the monitoring application, it can be operated in its case, or removed and fixed to the structure that requires monitoring,
The RDL Vibe is shipped to customers in a power off state, so depending on the purchase of Mains or Battery powered units, all you will need to do is switch on the unit, as all Geophone cables are shipped pre-wired & tested prior to leaving our facility.
Turning on the base unit is simple, unscrew the RDL Vibe base unit lid (4 screws), insert the two D Cell batteries if required, and then switch on the unit. The silver On/Off toggle switch is located inside the base unit for safety and security. (images below)
Setup Step 2 – Check the Base unit is Powered & Reporting to the SmartHub
Once you have your unit fixed to the structure, powered applied & Switched on, check the LED’s on the side of the RDL//Vibe base unit… You have three LED indicators that let you know the status of the instrument:
External Power = Active when power is present
Triggered = Active when the unit has detected an event
Reporting =Active when the base unit is reporting data (either after an event trigger, or scheduled date upload)
(You will also have a label with the identification number “IMEI” for the unit, and date of manufacture)
You can check the SmartHub on any device, and any browser.
Setup Step 3 – Log onto the CDL SmartHub & Check your Settings
Once logged on (with the user details we supply you) your device will be visible with all the key information such as device ID, Last logged on date, Sample and Report times, Frequency, GSM Signal quality.
So, all we need to do now, is setup and name our RDL Vibe. To do this, simply “Click” on the device that you want to configure, and you are taken into the device configuration details.
Here, you will setup key information, such as: –
- The device name (You can rename it with something meaningful to your application)
- The device slow sampling rate (Selectable from 5sec to 24 hour)
- The Reporting rate (The rate at which data is automatically uploaded to the CDLSmartHub) options include 1 minute though to 1 week reporting intervals
- Fast Sampling Frequency & Geophone Threshold (10hz to 500hz // Geophone threshold up to 43.4 mm/s)
- System Location (Each device will work out its location by GSM masts, and present you with Long /Lat coordinates and a physical map) You can also manually override these coordinates and manually move the device to the correct location should transmitted GSM masts transmit inaccurate data.
Step 4 – Enjoy your RDL Vibe Remote Vibration Monitoring System
Data / Alerts, on line & real time, wherever you are, whatever your device
Now your RDL//Vibe is setup and running, you’re able to view two types of data, these being the regular “Heartbeat” Data, and the “Event” based data that records 1032 samples per channel when the RDL//Vibe detects an Event that has exceeded your threshold setting.
Use the “Reporting” button to explore X / Y & Z axis data over any given period you choose (This can days / Weeks / Months etc )
In Addition to Reporting, our CDL SmartHub will capture in-depth Axis data for “Events”
- Simply Select the “Events” button for the device on the system administration page. Here, you will be present with a list of all past Events that have recorded by your RDL//Vibe.
- Review the dates and times, and select the Event of interest to you by clicking either “Graph” (Image Below) –Data can also be downloaded in CSV format for further analysis, be selecting the “Download Data” button
By Also selecting the “PPV Beta” option, you will be presented with further in-depth information about your event, such as Peak Particle Velocity / Frequency / Displacement / Acceleration etc. ( image below )
So there you are, vibration monitoring made simple by the CDL team …!!
We have dedicated support staff on hand to assist you should help be required, and with systems online we can help you with setup queries on the rare occasion there is any doubt.
Read articles in ICES about the RDL Vibe here on p26 & 27 and p13